Monday, November 24, 2008

Musing Mondays

(Now hosted by Just One More Page )

How do you feel about wide-spread reading phenomenons - Harry Potter, for instance, or the more current Twilight Saga? Are these books so widely read for a reason, or merely fads or crazes? Do you feel compelled to read - or NOT to read - these books because everyone else is?

I tend to be very sceptical when a book is super popular. If everyone and their dog has read a book, that tends to turn me off from wanting to read it. So, I usually hold off; wait to see if the buzz is going to die down. I do have an open mind, though. After about 38 weeks on the top of the NYT bestseller list, I finally decided maybe I should read The Davinci Code, and when I read it I could definately understand its popularity -- it was a very compelling read. I think the third or fourth Harry Potter was out before I decided to join the frenzy; once again, I saw the reason for the craze, and no one was more suprised than I was to find myself loving the books. With the Twilight Saga, I waited until the fourth book was out, and just read them all this summer.

Even if I some of the books are not my style, I have yet to read an extremely popular best seller and not see some of the reasons that they sell. Wether they will still be selling 70 years from now, I have my doubts about, though.


0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP