Saturday, November 1, 2008

Junie B. First Grader; Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May)

Rating: 4/5
Grading: A (Appropriate for all ages)




I read this last week to my own First Grader. She and her nine year old, and four year old sisters enjoyed it very much. When I first read a Junie B Jones book, I had warring emotions. I was at first appalled by the horrible behavior being modeled, and concerned with the phonemic spelling in the book. How are children suppossed to learn to spell if the don't read correctly spelled words! And I would never allow my child to act the way Junie does, especially toward grown-ups. But, by the time I had completed that first book, I had laughed so hard that I forgave any inappropriateness. Now we just enjoy the character that is Junie.

This book carries on in this delightful style, and fills one with the spirit of the holidays. Junie is faced with the impossible decision of pleasing herself and getting back at her nemisis; or seeing the hated one as a person with feelings and needs, and giving of herself. A great Christmas read, will hopefully help children feel the spirit of giving instead of getting - all the while keeping them interested with plenty of immature potty humor.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP