Thursday, November 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week


Suggested by JM:
I receive a lot of review books, but I have never once told lies about the book just because I got a free copy of it. However, some authors seem to feel that if they send you a copy of their book for free, you should give it a positive review.
Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?

I really don't understand how this question can even be an issue. If a book review is not honest, what is the point? If I wanted to read only positive biased reviews I would go to the authors website, or read the blurbs on the book cover. I don't think it is kind to bash books, but to fairly point out the flaws that you see in a book is your perogative as a reviewer. And if I want my review to be of any value, or have people trust my reviews, it is important that I be as honest as possible.

As for authors, I think that they need to think of a review by an independent reviewer the same way that they would that of any professional reviewer. You wouldn't expect to see only positve reviews in the New York Times, or any other paper; and you shouldn't expect only good reviews from bloggers.

7 comments:

Sunny November 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM  

I agree completely! Why read a review that isnt honest?! People read blogger reviews because they want to know what they really thought.

I also agree this can be done without bashing.

Susan November 20, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

You've got it exactly right. I think there is a constructive way to write a negative review of a book.

Anonymous,  November 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM  

As long as the review bears a resemblance of reasonably argued and well-supported statements, it’s a just review regardless of whether the subject being reviewed is good or bad. I stopped reading some of the book reviews in media because they turn into fluffy gasbags. I owe my readers my honest opinions to a book, regardless of whether it's free or not.

SmilingSally November 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

I agree. I could hardly concentrate with that darling child sleeping right below your post. Please come see my answer.

gautami tripathy November 21, 2008 at 6:23 AM  

I have more faith in the reviews of book blogs than any professional ones.

Read my BTT post!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP