Saturday, November 29, 2008

Review: Confetti Cakes for Kids




Rating: 4.5/5


Grade: A - All Ages


This is a really great book, full of fun and creative projects for desserts for kids. The beginning of the book goes through all of the equipement that would be usefull to make the cakes. There is then a section on decorating techniques, with step by step instructions of even things as simple as filling an icing bag. Then are all of the great cake, cookie and frosting recipes. Finally, the last half of the book has directions for the specific projects (such as the monster cake on the front of the book). Once again, each step is given in great detail, there are even templates that can be copied.


This book uses fondant a lot, which is not something I have ever worked with, most of the full sized cakes, and some of the cup-cakes use fondant for the smooth outer frosting. I can't even pipe frosting in a straight line, so I doubt that any of my finished products would end up looking like the ones in the book. But, I bet they would taste good!


The recipe I tried out for my review was: Vanilla Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing.(Like I said, I am hopeless with icing, I'd love to blame it on the kids.)



The cookies turned out well, they were very tasty - slightly crisp on the outside with a soft and buttery inside.

2 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag November 30, 2008 at 12:18 AM  

mmm...that cookie looks awesome. makes me hungry. hah
sounds like a cute, fun book. i'm glad you liked it.
i think this would be cool for my aunt...she has a little boy and loves to bake!

-lauren

Kaye November 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

Hi Lisa, if you liked my peanut brittle recipe, come back and visit me at
http://kayespenguinposts.blogspot to see the new Sweet Saturday recipe sharing idea. You can leave a link to your blog and I am keeping a link list and every Saturday in December bloggers can post a new recipe. I'm just asking that you link back to my blog so I can keep the link list. It should be a lot of fun. I hope you can join in. Watch for the Sweet Saturday logo and instructions posted tomorrow.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP