Monday, November 10, 2008

Musing Mondays


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS is about the giving & keeping of books!

If you keep your books, where do you keep them? And, if you give them away, who do you give them to? Do you participate in Bookcrossing, BookMooch, PaperbackSwap, or the like? Do you give your old books to family & friends, or donate them? Are any of your books in storage due to not having enough space for them all? Or, are you one of the lucky ones who has their own “library”? Feel free to share pictures, if you have them!


I keep most of my books. I have the hardest time getting rid of the darn things! For those I don't wish to keep, I post them on PaperbackSwap - the only problem is that I don't have enough listed, and find too many books that I want, so I end up buying credits to purchase books. I also donate books I don't want to second hand stores.
We don't have any books in storage, but we do make our children share rooms so that we can have a room as a "library". It is in the basement with no windows, so it is not as luxurious as it sounds. And we only have the cheap Wal-Mart bookshelves. My husband refuses to buy nice ones until we have a permanent residence; he wants to have built-ins when we own our home. We pretty much have bookshelves in every part of the house: living room, play room, bed-room. But, on the plus side, if your walls are lined with bookshelves you don't have to decorate!

See most of my bookcases here

5 comments:

Robin M November 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

Very neat bookshelves. Yep, I use books and bookshelves as decoration, saves on pictures and wall hangings.

My post is up now at www.mytwoblessings.blogspot.com

Have a good evening.

Robin

Hazellie November 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM  

I'm a bookhoarder, I don't like to display my books for anyone who comes in the house to see because I have a irrational fear that someone might steal a treasured book (I live with my parents, my brother and his wife, so many of their friends come to the house too), so I only keep my books in my (locked) 'library'.

And I second Robin, you do have very neat bookshelves!

Book Lover Lisa November 10, 2008 at 11:00 PM  

Thanks for the comments on my neat bookshelves, since they are one of the few 'neat' things in my house, it is nice to hear. I like to have them lined up by height - shortest in the middle, gradually increasing until the tallest are on the outside. The shelf itself can be organized by subject. My husband is even more anal about the look of the shelves than I am.

Literary Feline November 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

I tend to keep most of my books as well, although I'm trying to let some go for space and practical reasons. It sure is hard though.

I would love to invest in some really nice bookshelves, but really can't justify the cost at this point. All of ours are those put-together-yourself kind and they serve their purpose well. :-)

I just discovered your blog and have to say that I really like it!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) November 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

This is also my first time at your blog! I tend to freak out when I try to give my books away. I have separation anxiety! I start with a nice pile to give away, then I start second-guessing and by the time its over I only have a couple that I actually part with!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP