Thursday, November 13, 2008

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week



I’ve asked, in the past, about whether you more often buy your books, or get them from libraries. What I want to know today, is, WHY BUY?
Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?
If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?


I sometimes get books from the library, mainly new books, especially if the book is by an author I have not read before; but most of the time I purchase books. I rarely, however, buy books new. I don't like to buy paperback books, and I can't see spending $25 dollars for a book. I search out books at yard sales, used book stores, thrift stores, etc. The last couple of years I have gotten most of the specific books that I want from http://www.paperbackswap.com/ I might have to wait awhile, but the book isn't going to change in that time, and by then maybe the sequels will already be out, and I can read them all at once.

So, why buy instead of borrow?

1. So that I can re-read. Yes, I am a re-reader. I like that I can read a certain book when I want to feel or certain way, or when I am in a certain mood. Some people can't understand this - why read it again if you already know the ending? But for me reading is more about the words and the feelings than the story. Besides, most people have a favorite movie that they watch repeatedly: same thing.

2. Books look pretty on my bookshelves.

3. I can lend to other people (if they promise to be nice).

4. In case of the collapse of our society, I will still have enough to read for pretty much the rest of my life. Which is another great thing about an unread TBR pile. (To see my library on librarything click here.

5. I am just a born book horder, I get a thrill from looking around me and seeing all of my books (friends in waiting).

3 comments:

SmilingSally November 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

I both buy and use the library. Here's my answer.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/11/booking-through-thursday.html

Unknown November 14, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

So I really like to buy. I dont usually go to our library since I can only get 1 book at a time. I can get all the childrens books I want, however I already have so many kids books that are what I call living books that the others are kind of pointless and silly. I havent found a reasonable used book store around here yet and it is quite difficult to find the time to go. I love to buy books since I can read them as often as I would like, but also so that my kids can read them. It is so important to fill your house with good books so that there will be continued learning down through the ages.

JonJon Rosaleen November 17, 2008 at 7:07 AM  

Books do look pretty plus they make us look brilliant too!! :) I do watch same movies several time and never get bored. And yes, the same goes to re-reading books!
Thank you for dropping by & Happy Reading!!!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP