Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Rating System

My book rating system is pretty easy to understand. 5 out of 5 possible points interpreted to mean the following:

Rating:

5/5 = This book was outstanding. I will definitely re-read it. I will find the best possible copy for my home library

4/5 = This was a very good book. I will re-read if in the mood. I would like to have a copy of this for my home library.

3/5 = This was a pretty good book. I would re-read it if I had nothing else to read. If I come across it for a good price - at a thrift store, used book store, or garage sale - I wouldn't mind having a copy for my home library.

2/5 = I didn't really care for this book. I wouldn't re-read it. I will not keep a copy of this for my home library.

1/5 = This was not a good book. I may not have finished it, and if I did I certainly will not re-read it. Not only would I not have this in my library, I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else either by giving it away.

My Book Grading System

As a child I was a ravenous devourer of books. I roamed the library unguided, and often come away with things I was not mature enough for. I don't believe in censoring what other people read, but I always wished there was some sort of guideline for books like there is a for movies. I have thought about changing my system, just because my A-F system, which is reminiscent of the school grading system, seems to imply that 'A' is the best, and 'D' is pretty bad. This is not true as far as the quality and enjoyment of the book goes, only as far as child appropriate content goes. I already have this system in place, so have decided to keep using it.

Grade:

A = All clear - this book is appropriate for children of all ages.
B = Be alert - this book is best for ages 8 and up. There may be some heavier themes or extremely mild language
C = Caution - this book is better for older children, 14 and up. May have some weighty themes, some sexual reference, and some profanity.
D = Danger - this book is not recommended for children, I would recommend 18 and up. May contain very heavy themes, sexual reference or descriptive sex, and more and stronger profanity.
F = Fire - This book is extremely offensive, and I would not recommend it for anyone.

4 comments:

Literary Feline January 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

Your rating system is very similar to mine, Lisa. :-) I was just talking to my husband over lunch about doing some sort of grading system, but decided against it in the end. I do think it's a great idea though and am glad you have been able to make it work.

Jo-Jo January 5, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

I like that rating system. I was thinking that I should probably do something similar. Maybe I will work on that this week.

Kim January 14, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

I'm glad to find someone else who "grades" books too. I love your blog.

Anonymous,  January 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

I love it lisa!! I am glad to know you are sharing one of your talents. Someone I can trust. Thanks

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP