Thursday, January 8, 2009

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week


This weeks Booking Through Thursday question:

It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?

I have always had a hard time picking favorites, even when I was a little child playing with my stuffed animals. By chosing a favorite you are automatically leaving someone else out, and I have never wanted to make others feel bad. I used to sleep with about fifty toys at night because I didn't want to leave anyone out. But there are a few stand out books that I read in 2008. And I am thankful for the question, as I have been meaning to post about this topic, but the days just slip by.

I am listing a couple of exceptional reads, not that there weren't others, but these are the ones that come to mind without looking back over the year and refreshing my memory. I read many really great books in 2008, and hardly any duds. Two books that I really enjoyed:

Fiction:


Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley. Read my review .


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Marry Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows. Read my review .



Non-fiction:

These are not new books, but up to this point my non-fiction reading has been minimal, so these are some great reads I just found this year.
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson


Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Read my review .

9 comments:

Anonymous,  January 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Haven't heard of Parnassus on Wheels but I like the highlights and points you make in your review!

Sandra January 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

I agree about the Guernsey Book. I haven't read your others but Parnassus on Wheels sounds interesting, I'll look into it. And thank you for visiting my blog.

Lynda January 8, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

I read A Walk in the Woods and Into Thin Air a few years ago and loved them both.
I'll be hunting out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society now ;0)

Beth F January 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

I loved the Guernsey book and Into Thin Air was a page turner. Did you see A Reader's Respite this morning?? She talks about Into Thin Air for a meme -- too funny and worth the peek. (peak?)

Eidin January 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

I haven't read your two fiction picks but I read "A Walk in the Woods" a few years ago and loved it. Haven't read "Into Thin Air" yet. We took the audio book with us on a road trip back in October but my husband had already read it and wasn't too keen on listening to it with me. I loved Krakauer's "Into the Wild."

Have a great day!

Jo-Jo January 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

I agree that it is hard to pick a favorite when there are so many good ones out there! My mom could hardly find me in my bed amongst all of my animals either! I gave you an award today!

Anonymous,  January 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Bill Bryson is fun, although I haven't read A Walk in the Woods.

The Bumbles January 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Your 2 NF choices are 2 of my favorites all time. I read Into Thin Air in 1 night - I still can't believe he went back to mountain climbing after that experience - I would have retired to Hawaii. And Bill Bryson is hysterical - what a great story teller. The Potato Peel Society book is one I am looking forward to reading sometime this year.

BookChook January 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Lisa, I am way behind with my blog reading,so don't be surprised by today's date! but just had to comment here. I loved Walk in the Woods. Bryson hasn't written a book I didn't love - okay not as much his Short History - but I wanted to tell you to look out for Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. So funny and so well-written.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP