Monday, January 5, 2009

Musing Mondays


Here's today's Musing Mondays hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page. Visit her blog to Read the meme and see responses

Do you have a system for borrowing out books from the library? Do you know what you're going to borrow before you get there? How often do you borrow out books?

A system? Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't have a system for anything. Which explains why my life is pretty much utter chaos. I really do like systems, but I am not naturally an organized person, and the five kids haven't helped matters.

But, back to the library...Sometimes I have something in mind before I go to the library, if this is the case I usually check online first to see if it is there and if it is available. It is so discouraging to go to the library really wanting to read something and come away empty handed.

Since I live in a town of about 11,000, our library is relatively small, so I usually end up doing inter library loans if there is something I really want to read. I do hate waiting for them to come in, and then some libraries have an unrealistically short loan time. Once, because of when they checked the book out to me, how long it took to get there, how long it took for them to call and for me to pick up the book, I had a book that was due the day after I got it. And there was no renew option.

Much of the time I just wander the shelves looking for something to catch my eye.

As far as frequency of borrowing books from the library, it really varies. The children and I go to the library at least every other week for story time, and they always check out books. But it depends on how close I am to losing my mind, after hauling a baby and two toddlers around the library with their gigantic picture books, if I look for books or not. I generally sneak into the library on my husbands day off, childless. Sometimes I sit in the peace and quite and just breathe the anomaly in. But at that point the books are really a secondary concern.

4 comments:

Beth F January 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Even when you just sit and relax, you're still using the library!

FleurFisher January 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

My library has a meter to record how many people pass through, so you may be doing them a service by going in even if you don't borrow books!

Clemencia January 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

Sounds like this post is made for us lol, I have borrowed so many books from the library, that a couple of times they said I reach the limit which is 50 books at once, well I was getting books for my 14 y. old daughter who reads a 500 pg book in 3 days, my preschooler, who I read to everyday 3 to 5 books and for me, just plain addicted to read and learn lol

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP