Thursday, February 26, 2009

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week

See this weeks BTT .


Hardcover? Or paperback?
Illustrations? Or just text?
First editions? Or you don’t care?
Signed by the author? Or not?

In general
I definitely prefer hardcover books. They are more durable, and this is an issue to me because I keep all but the most unworthy books. It is hard to read paperback books without bending or creasing the cover in some way, and I like my books to stay looking nice, and unread. There are occasions when paperbacks are preferable, such as on the beach, while travelling, or while nursing a baby; when there is a danger of the book getting destroyed, or when I only have one hand available, ore when I have limited space.


I love illustrated books. It is really to bad that, other than children's pictures books, so few books have any illustrations anymore. I have some books of Charles Dickens' with illustrations, and find the reading that much more enjoyable.


As for first editions, really not an issue for me at this point. I don't collect books as collectors items. Though I do like to have nice books, for me they are about functionality. At some point in the future if I have the kind of money to be able to spend it on books that I will not read, it is a possibility I could begin to collect.


To have a book personalized by the author would always be a plus. I currently only have a couple of signed books, but would welcome more.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  February 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

I make a terrible mess of my books like dog earing them, writing notes, and such, that I prefer the paper books. I enjoyed reading your post. Happy BTT!

Beth F February 26, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Hardcovers are more durable, but my bank account prefers soft covers!

Melissa February 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

There is no way I could keep all my books! I have 3 bookshelves overflowing with unread books.

Jo-Jo February 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

I have a hard time parting with books myself!

claire February 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

I love hardcovers for their durability, too. Although because I buy mostly used, I tend to buy paperbacks as well, whichever's available. I also don't keep everything I read but favourites. And love illustrations, too! I've a few novellas illustrated throughout and they're so pretty. :)

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP