Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion where participants share new (to us) words we encounter in our reading.

This is my first time participating, I always forget to write down the words.

These come from The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer:

animadversions - 1. Strong criticism. 2. A critical or censorious remark.

fustian (which word I have read a number of times but never bothered to find out what it meant) - 1. a stout fabric of cotton and flax.
2. a fabric of stout twilled cotton or of cotton and low
quality wool, with a short nap or pile.
3. inflated or turgid language in writing or speaking.

4 comments:

Margot April 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

Glad you played along this week. I've found it to be a fun and useful weekly feature.

avisannschild April 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Wow, I almost feel like you must have made up that first word, it's so strange looking! (Not that I'm really suggesting you did!) Great words!

Here are my Wondrous Words for this week.

Carrie K. April 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

I've read fustian before, but never taken the time to look it up. :) Good words!

Penny April 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

I'm the same way...I know I've read fustian several times, but I don't usually have a dictionary handy, and unless it's crucial to the sentence, I don't like breaking up my reading by having to hunt up a dictionary. Thanks for the definition!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP