Thursday, February 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week

(To read other responses and see the question visit Booking Through Thurday )

I recently got new bookshelves for my room, and I’m just loving them. Spent the afternoon putting up my books and sharing it on my blog . One of my friends asked a question and I thought it would be a great BTT question. So from Tina & myself, we’d like to know “How do you arrange your books on your shelves? Is it by author, by genre, or you just put it where it falls on?”



Well, my books originally had some organization, but the books that have been added in the last year and a half have been randomly placed on two new bookshelves as they have come into our home.


Our books are organized by genre, and then by height on each shelf. I can't stand having messy looking bookshelves. The taller books are placed on the outside, on both sides, and 'v' into the shorter books in the middle. The exception is if there is a series or author I am trying to keep together in order. I don't find further organization necessary, even with over 2,000 books, I almost always know just where the book I am looking for is.



This picture is a good example. The top three shelves are fantasy/sci-fi/Stephen King, and the bottom two shelves are random non-fiction. On the very top shelf I am trying to keep a series together (Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series)which I have part in paperback, and part in hardcover. Other than that the books go by height.

11 comments:

jlshall February 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

I'd love to have my books arranged by height - it would look a lot better. But my mania for alphabetizing is just too strong!

Melissa February 19, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

I organize by height too, but without the V in the middle.

SmilingSally February 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

As long as you can find what you want, I say go for it! My response is here:
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/02/booking-through-thursday-storage.html

Roblynn February 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

I think you even beat Harvey on the book collection :)

Savidge Reads February 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

I have never thought of arranging my books by height, what a good idea. Hmmm I might mull that one over.

Beth F February 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

Mine aren't organized by anything!

Darlene February 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Wow, how nice. I suggest you don't go look at the pictures I posted today. lol.

claire February 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

That looks even neater than mine!! I kind of like the inconsistency of the height of my books all together, because when viewed as a whole they do look very balanced. But yours still look neater, though. Very nice! :)

Anonymous,  February 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

Anonymous,  February 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

I shelf my books by author's last name in alphabetical order. For fiction and literature, I single out the ones to be re-read and put them on a different case.

INow that's another reason I don't buy hardbacks, i try to keep sizes of my books even. :)

Gastonia Drapery July 27, 2022 at 6:19 AM  

I enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP